If you’re looking for a managed service provider but can’t afford to hire full-time IT staff, then co-managed IT is the solution you’re looking for. The co-managed model combines the best of outsourcing your IT management with the control of in-house IT administration.
Taking this approach gives you more time to focus on business strategy while also having reliable IT support when something goes wrong.
Here’s how it works:
What is Co-Managed IT?
The term “co-managed IT services” refers to a partnership between a company and an IT service provider, such as a managed service provider (MSP), where both share responsibility for managing the organization’s IT infrastructure.
The MSP is responsible for ensuring that the customer’s systems or outsourced IT functions run smoothly and meet the company’s needs. Sometimes, IT service providers provide expert cybersecurity guidance and support while the customer controls the IT environment internally.
How Do Co-Managed Services Work?
It’s important to note that co-managed services are not a one-size-fits-all solution. The right approach for one company may not be right for another. Each business needs to carefully consider its own needs and resources before deciding whether a co-managed model is right for them.
Co-managed services can also help businesses transition to a new IT system or platform by providing support during the implementation process.
Co-managed arrangements have many benefits, including cost savings, improved efficiency and increased flexibility.
Reasons to Consider a Co-Managed Approach
Since every company’s IT needs differ, co-managed tech support looks different for every organization.
Here are some of the main reasons why your business might look into a co-managed approach:
- Your staff is overworked: An overworked IT department could be due to your team simply being too small or your business growing too quickly. If your internal IT team can’t meet your needs for a certain period, a co-managed MSP can fill the gap. Additionally, if you have seasonal spikes in demand for IT services, a co-managed team can help your business be more flexible and scalable.
- You have a big, new project on the horizon: If you don’t have the internal IT resources to support you through the lifecycle, the workload can get daunting.
- You have knowledge gaps: If there are specific areas where your internal IT team lacks knowledge or expertise, it may be worth bringing in a fresh set of eyes. This way, you can fill the gaps in your team’s skillset and ensure that your projects are delivered successfully.
- Robust security: If you don’t have an in-house expert, it can be a good idea to seek outside support. External IT providers often have robust security protocols in place, giving you priceless peace of mind knowing that your data is safe and secure
- Redundancy: If your IT department is only one person, what happens when they go on vacation? This is another great reason to have someone who can seamlessly step in and provide support..
Pro tip: your people are your first line of defense when it comes to cybersecurity. An easy way to boost your cybersecurity efforts is by looking into cybersecurity awareness training for your whole staff.
How Co-Managed Support Turbocharges Your Growth
Here are some of the ways co-managed services can fuel your growth:
- Your IT management gets easier: When you give your in-house IT staff a partner that can monitor and manage your systems, the added tech support can relieve some of the pressure on your internal team.
- You can finally stay on top of IT trends: Managing your IT infrastructure can be a full-time job, and it can be challenging to keep up with all the latest trends, like the cloud or the latest offerings from Microsoft 365. Co-managed service providers stay on top of industry innovations so you can benefit from their expertise and knowledge.
- You gain round-the-clock support: A co-managed approach usually provides 24/7/365 support. This round-the-clock support can, in and of itself, be a value-add for your business, leading to more system uptime, better cybersecurity and instant resolution of critical tickets.
- You save on hiring costs: Hiring an in-house IT team can be expensive — not to mention the cost of training and keeping team members up to date with the latest technology. With co-managed help, you gain all the benefits of having an expert team for a fraction of the cost.
- You build employee morale: Employee productivity and morale rise when they don’t have to deal with tech issues. Their enthusiasm will also increase when they have access to the latest technology and know that their company is actively investing in them. This will have a positive impact on productivity and retention levels.
- You get increased security: Your managed service provider will help implement and maintain robust security measures.
Make IT Work
Talk with an OrlanTech expert
Discover reliable advice and fast support
Be safe, secure and productive