Hurricane season is upon us, and since we live in an area prone to these powerful storms, it’s essential to be prepared. While we can’t control the weather, we can certainly control how we respond to it. Your response should include backup and disaster recovery plans. It’s crucial to ensure your tech infrastructure is prepared so you can weather any storms.
Backup and Disaster Recovery: Understanding Hurricane Season
Before we delve into disaster recovery solutions, it’s important to understand what we’re up against. Hurricane season typically runs from June through November, with the peak occurring between August and October.
During this time, powerful storms spin up that wreak havoc on coastal – and sometimes even inland – communities. The damage they leave behind can be devastating, both in terms of property and human lives.
Being prepared is not just a good idea; it’s a necessity.
The Role of Backup and Disaster Recovery
When a hurricane is on the horizon, your priority is the safety of your loved ones and yourself. Evacuation plans and emergency kits are vital, but what about your data and your business?
Backup and disaster recovery (BDR) services are the best precaution. Here are the essential elements of a good BDR plan:
1. Data Protection
In today’s digital age, our lives and businesses are heavily reliant on data. From important documents to cherished memories, we store it all on our devices.
If a hurricane strikes and damages or destroys your hardware, this data could be lost forever. Data backup solutions ensure that your critical information is securely stored offsite, safe from the destruction of the storm.
State-of-the-art data backup solutions automatically and securely back up your data to the cloud. This means that even if your physical devices are damaged or lost, your data remains intact and accessible when you need it most.
2. Business Continuity
For businesses, downtime can be catastrophic. Every minute of inactivity means potential losses in revenue and customer trust. Hurricane-related disruptions can last for days or even weeks. Disaster recovery solutions enable you to maintain business operations, even in the face of a natural disaster.
Disaster recovery services ensure that your critical business systems and applications are backed up, replicated and ready to be restored at a moment’s notice. This minimizes downtime and ensures that your business can continue to operate, serving your customers and generating income – even if your people are having to work from a remote location.
3. Peace of Mind
When a hurricane is approaching, you have enough to worry about. You shouldn’t have to stress about the safety of your data or the continuity of your business.
With robust BDR services in place, you can have peace of mind knowing that your digital assets are secure, and your business is prepared to weather the storm.
OrlanTech’s Emergency Preparedness Checklist
As we enter the peak of hurricane season this week, keep in mind the following to prepare your business for the worst:
Data Backup and Protection:
- Ensure data is backed up in at least two locations, including an alternate site.
- Copy critical files (e.g., Excel, Word) to a laptop or USB drive for offsite storage.
- Create a backup of your accounting database (e.g., QuickBooks) and store it offsite.
- Print or copy important documents like insurance policies.
Communication and Planning:
- Discuss communication plans with your team in case of power outages.
- Define alternative communication methods.
- Establish a plan for power and communication loss scenarios.
PCs and Monitors:
- Shut down and unplug PCs and monitors.
- If using a surge protector or UPS, turn off the power switch and unplug it.
- If no surge protector, unplug power cables.
- Move PCs and monitors away from windows and elevate them to prevent water damage.
- Ensure all devices are unplugged and powered off before covering them to prevent overheating.
- Power off printers.
- Unplug printers from surge protectors or unplug power cables.
- Ensure printers are unplugged and powered off before covering them.
Servers (Subject to Storm Strength):
- Based on the storm’s path and strength, consult with OrlanTech before shutting down servers.
- Submit a ticket to schedule server shutdown if necessary.
- Consider risks and consequences when deciding whether to unplug UPSs and servers after remote shutdown.
- Save OrlanTech’s emergency number: 407-770-0493.
- Note that peer group partners are available for additional assistance.
- Continue to submit support requests via email: [email protected].
Remember to prioritize safety during the storm and follow these precautions.
Preparing for Hurricane Season
Now that we’ve stressed the importance of BDR and given you a safety checklist to follow, let’s talk about how you can prepare for hurricane season.
1. Customized Solutions
Every business is unique, and so are your BDR needs. You should work with a trusted managed service provider to tailor a disaster recovery plan that suits your unique needs.
Together, we’ll ensure that you’re prepared for whatever the hurricane season brings your way. Your safety, your data and your business are worth it.
2. Cutting-Edge Technology
We pride ourselves on staying at the forefront of technology. Our BDR solutions leverage the latest advancements in cloud computing, data encryption and replication technology.
This ensures that your data is not only protected but also easily recoverable in the event of a disaster.
3. After Hours Support
Disasters don’t wait for convenient times, and neither do we. We provide after hours support to our clients. Whether it’s a data emergency or a weekend system recovery, our team is always ready to assist you.
4. Regular Testing and Updates
Your backup and disaster recovery plan shouldn’t be a set-it-and-forget-it solution. We regularly test and update your BDR plan to ensure that it remains effective and in line with your evolving needs.
This proactive approach guarantees that your data remains protected, no matter what Mother Nature throws your way.
5. Training and Education
We believe in empowering our clients with knowledge. We provide training and educational resources to help you and your team understand your BDR plan and how to execute it effectively. Knowledge is a powerful tool in disaster preparedness.
Preparing for the Worst
As hurricane season approaches, remember that being prepared goes beyond stocking up on canned goods, water and batteries. It means safeguarding what matters most to you, whether that’s cherished memories or the livelihood of your business. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contact us or book a meeting today and let us help you tailor a disaster recovery plan that suits your unique needs.
Make IT Work
Talk with an OrlanTech expert
Discover reliable advice and fast support
Be safe, secure and productive